With less than a fortnight to go until Christmas Day, there is further evidence that consumers need to be careful when searching for presents online.
Shopping online is a great way to save yourself some time and avoid the crowds, but there are some things to remember to protect yourself when buying online:-
- A firm may have a great-looking website, but that doesn’t make it honest.
- Make sure that the web address of the page starts “https://” before you enter any personal information or payment details. The “s” in https stands for secure.
- Look for sites that are part of an independent approval scheme and have signed up to particular standards.
- Make sure your web browser is set up to check for potential phishing sites and read any warnings you get carefully.
- Check your bank and credit card statements carefully and report any unfamiliar transactions.
For a lot more advice on how to spot fraudulent websites and fake goods, have a look at the knowthenet online shopping guide.